Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Week Two - Wide Open

The Lord has given me a rather unusual word for 2024, open. Last year's word was adjust, and we experienced a lot of changes in ministry and housing. God was faithful to help me adjust my attitude and expectations, so I'm sure adjust was the right word for 2023. But, open?

My initial thought was to be open to whatever the Lord has for 2024. And I pray that is my continual attitude. But as I look through Scripture, I see even more.

Deuteronomy 28:12, "The Lord shall open unto thee his good treasure . . . to bless all the work of thine hand."  What a precious promise. It was given to Israel as a part of God's blessing connected with their obedience. 

"O, Lord, may I be obedient and see your goodness and blessing upon my work for You through 2024. Open to me your good treasure."

Psalm 51:15, "O Lord, open thou my lips; and my mouth shall shew forth thy praise." 

Psalm 119:18, "Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law."

Psalm 34:15, "The eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous, and his ears are open unto their cry."

These are lovely prayers and promises, but the one the Lord keeps reinterating to my heart of Psalm 81:10, "Open thy mouth wide, and I will fill it."

It's a funny little verse, but so full of promise. If we will but open up, God will fill us with everything we need. If we open our lives, He will direct us. If we open our hearts, He will give us strength. If we open our minds, He will reveal His wisdom. 

Open

So the question is, Am I going to be open with the Lord in 2024 or preoccupied with my own plans, controlling and demanding, or closed to His will?

It doesn't take much to meditate on what life might bring if I closed my heart and life to the Lord. But if I open myself, the promises abound, and the impossible becomes possible. The negative is flooded out by the positive expectation of God's hand and activity.

As Pastor Mark Formby said, "God is always doing great things, we just have to recognize it and allow it into our lives."

I want to be open and allow God to do great things, don't you? It's going to be exciting and interesting to see how He fills 2024.


No comments:

Post a Comment