Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Week One - The Tone of Your Life

Somewhere, I read the phrase, the tone of your life. It was noted in my little travel journal, and I thought, "What an apt evaluation at this time of year." Consider these thoughts.

What was the tone of your life in 2023? Was it loud and turbulent? Was it quiet and full of grace? Were you patient or demanding? Were you frustrated or trusting? Looking back, what attitudes, reactions, or decisions could have sounded better?

2023 is finished, but now, this New Year gives us an opportunity to adjust our pitch. If you've ever listened to the William Tell Overture, you'll recall it begins with peaceful music. Then, moves into the galloping section we know so well. Life can also be compared to classical music with a mix of slow and lively sections as we move from year to year or through different seasons of life. But each season, each year, there is a distinct tone.

No doubt you've been through turbulent times. I have as well, but even then, I recognize that the tone of my life remains my choice. How I respond to the circumstances reverberates to those around me and becomes the driving force behind my decisions.

Consider these questions. What is the tone of my life? What do others hear? Do I generate a clear pitch? Is there a constant annoying vibration? Is my tone steady or wavering? 

Here's something fun to consider. In the great symphony of life, what instrument might I be? A drum? A trumpet? A flute? Each instrument has a distinct tone and purpose, and so do you.

As we enter 2024, carve out a space of time to meditate on the tone of your life and do some self-evaluation. How would you want the music of your life to sing to others? What minor keys could be changed? What section of life are you in and what music is it creating? Ask the Lord to give you a new song in this New Year, and let that song be your testimony. 

"And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the Lord" (Psalm 40:3).



No comments:

Post a Comment