Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Week Four - Needing Directions

Before the days of the GPS, there was the MAP which sometimes became an object of contention as we travelled America on deputation. I prefer a straight route, and I'm not afraid to take a shortcut. But my husband prefers main roads, even if it takes a few minutes longer. Needless to say, we had several heated discussions about which direction we should take, and sometimes we got utterly lost.

Now that the GPS directs our path, we have fewer discussions but sometimes still wind up on a crazy route. Anyway, this idea of direction is often a part of Scripture. Let's look at some things God says about direction.

We are to direct our prayers to Him each morning.

     "My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O Lord; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up" (Psalm 5:3).

He directs our path.

      "In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths" (Proverbs 3:6).

He directs our hearts. 

       "And the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God and into the patient waiting for Christ" (2 Thessalonians 3:5).

He directs our steps. 

      "A man's heart deviseth his way: but the Lord directeth his steps" (Proverbs 16:9).

I don't know about you, but I need directions. I feel more confident when I see where I am going and what I am supposed to be doing. As I take time each day to commit my day to the Lord through prayer, I invariably find He directs my day. It might not be the path I had in mind, but it is the path God designed. And as I remember that He directs through love, I find my heart more willing to be patient and trusting. I might have my own idea of what the day should bring, but when I allow the Lord to direct my steps, He has a fantastic way of making the day more than I could have imagined.

So, if you need direction, ponder these few verses and ask the Lord to do the directing. He's much more trustworthy than a GPS or MAP!




No comments:

Post a Comment