Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Week Two - Pots of Increase

Beside the Well

            The widow in 2 Kings 4:1-7 is facing a perilous financial situation as the prophet Elisha asks, “what hast thou in the house?”  In other words, what collateral or capitol does she have to start with?
            She replies, “not anything in the house, save a pot of oil.”  That was all she had of any real value: one pot of oil.
            The widow did her part—she obediently collected the pots.  And, she gave what she had—the single pot of oil.  God gave the increase.
            “ Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it.”  Psalm 127:1  I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.”   1 Corinthians 3:6,7  “The Lord shall increase you more and more, you and your children.” Psalm 115:14  As I meditated on the story, these Scriptures flooded my mind.
            The miracle of the pots was a direct result of the widow’s act of faith and obedience.  All she did was to collect some pots, pick up her pot of oil, and pour.  God did the rest.
            I began to reflect on the pots of oil the Lord has given me – talents, opportunities, my family, ministry, etc.  I am truly more blessed than the widow.  The pots in my care are gifts from the Lord to be used for His glory.  How am I using what I have?
            Then, my mind went to the idea of increase.  I can put effort into as many funnels or pots as I please, but unless the Lord is filling them, it is a self-focused effort.  I must be obediently pouring my life into what God has designed for me.  Only then will I see the lasting increase.
            God has proven this truth to me many times in my life.  I have watched Him build a ministry.  He has increased (blessed) my family and answered many prayers.  He has enriched my life beyond imagination, and all I did was stay faithful.  I planted.  I watered.  I obeyed.  And God gave the blessed increase.

            As 2018 is getting its stride, maybe we ought to look at what God has given us and do our part in faithful obedience looking to Him for the increase?

No comments:

Post a Comment