Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Week Four - Rhema

Beside the Well

            The Welsh man stood to do the morning Bible reading asking us to turn to Psalm 56.  With beautiful precision and a metered gait he carefully read each precious word.  “What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee…put thou my tears into thy bottle…For God is for me.” As he began to close on the last verse, the words came alive on the page.  “For thou hast delivered my soul from death: wilt not thou deliver my feet from falling?” And the Spirit spoke to my heart.
          “Your Father has delivered your soul from death—He gave you salvation.  Can you not believe He will also deliver you from your failures?”  Two other verses backed up His question.  “He that spared not his own Son… how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?” (Romans 8:32)  and  “Having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?” (Galatians 3:3)
            I sat staring at the words in my Bible.  They had plunged into the very heart of my concerns and challenged me to look at my thoughts.  Yes, God has delivered my soul from death.  I know I am His.  But my heart was caught up in worry and fear over a situation for which I had no remedy.  My only choice was to trust the Lord and to wait for His delivery.
            Right there I bowed my heart and began to acknowledge God’s truth.  If He could deliver my soul from death, nothing else is beyond His ability.  He will keep my feet from falling.  He will solve my problem.  He is for me and will work on my behalf.
            It isn’t about how good I am or how hard I try.  It is about who He is.  What He can and will do for His child.  It is about my walk of faith as opposed to my trying to figure things out on my own. 

            Three times in Psalm 56 we find the phrase, “I will praise his word.” (vs 4,10)  Oh, how I praise His word.  Rhema -the living word alive in my heart!  For truly, “What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?” (Romans 8:31)  What a wonderful place to stand!

No comments:

Post a Comment