Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Week Three - That Elusive Phone

Beside the Well

            I misplaced my phone the other day.  Like the woman sweeping her house looking for that lost coin, I searched through every room.  Of course, the phone was on silent!  I don’t want it interrupting me all the time.  But, today, I wished I could have heard that ringer.
            I gave up on the house and began scouring the cars as I prayed for the Lord to help me remember where I had laid it.  My search was futile.  The phone refused to be found.  It wasn’t in the pockets of my jackets.  I wasn’t between the cushions of the couch.  It wasn’t even at the church.  I know, because I drove over to make sure.
            Later that evening, I came back to my desk and stared blankly at my computer still bemused by my lost phone.  With all of my searching, it evaded me.
            I reached over and picked up my work diary and underneath, silently waiting between that book and another, was my elusive treasure.  I had looked all over my desk several times that day, but for some reason, I had not moved that particular book.
            I tell you the story of my phone to make this point.  Sometimes we wander all over the place looking for that elusive dream.  It might be happiness.  It might be the answer to a quandary or life’s direction we are seeking, but instead of looking right before us, we wander all over the earth looking and looking to no avail.
            Proverbs 14:24 says, “Wisdom is before him that hath understanding; but the eyes of a fool are in the ends of the earth.”
            God’s word to me, as I read this verse in Proverbs, was, “Gail, concentrate.  Look at me.  I have the wisdom and direction you seek.  Keep your eyes straight on. Don’t go wandering around.  I am the Man with the answers.”  And then the Holy Spirit whispered, “A wise man will hear and increase learning.” (Proverbs 1:5)

            Maybe you are in the same boat—looking and looking for answers.  Let me encourage you to sit down and concentrate on what God has right before you.  Stop looking around and start looking at Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment