Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Week Five - Once Upon a Time


Once upon a time...what a phrase! 

Once - we have only one go at life.
Upon - an action of influence.
Time - a set portion.

And that's what we have - one life/one time to make a difference. The Bible assures us of this truth.

Our lives are like a tale that is told, leaving one story behind. (Psalm 90:9)

Our lives are like a vapor. James tells us, "For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away" (James 4:14).

And our lives have a specific fragrance - a sweet-smelling savor to the Lord, or they stink.

These thoughts bring me back to my phrase for 2022 - Living with a purpose to make a difference.

If I have only one life, I want to make it the best I can. I want to use it wisely and spend my energy on things of eternal value because I know I have eternal life!

If my life is to have influence, if my tale is to be told, I want it to be of Christ, to point others to Him, and make a difference influencing others to faithfully follow the Lord.

If I have only one time - one set portion in this vast eternity to leave a short fragrant story. No matter how brief it is, I want to make it count. I certainly don't want it to stink!

All of this brings me back to looking at life from a different vantage point. Oh, I could wish for all sorts of things, places to see, or something to do, and all of that will probably come along the way. But if those things become my focus, I am not looking up to all life could be. Instead, I'm looking down at the temporary and forgetting there is more to life than humdrum existence. There is eternity, and while we use our little vapor life in frivolous pursuits, we are letting it go up in smoke.

I want to live larger. God gives me joys along the way, the desires of my heart, and blesses my life abundantly. I can attest to that! But if I am going to use 2022 to live with purpose to make a difference, I can't focus on stuff. I must focus on Him. I must keep in mind the shortness of my life, the fleeting time I have here on this earth, and use it wisely.

Once upon a time is today. What will I do with it? What will you do with yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment