Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Week Twelve - Call in the Choir

Beside the Well
            During a Wednesday night Bible study Pastor Mark Formby said, “Don’t live under the cloud of what-ifs.”
            On the night this quote caught my heart I had been sideswiped with some unexpected news that would change the tenor of our ministry.  I was grappling to come to grips with the decision that had already been made.  I could not change it.  I was just going to have to accept it.  The “what-ifs” were becoming a heavy cloud overshadowing my heart.
            Then I heard, “Peace with My decision is enough.” Enough, had been the byword God was teaching me.  He was challenging me to believe change, and His hand in it, was enough.  I did not need to question or surmise.  I needed to accept it and be at peace with God’s decision.
            That night’s Bible study was in 2 Chronicles 20.  Jehoshaphat received news of a great multitude coming up against him to battle.  There was no changing it; the bad guys were on their way. Jehoshaphat was afraid, but he knew what to do.  He went straight to the Lord and called others into prayer with him.  Publically, He rehearsed the mercies of God in the past and placed his case squarely upon the Lord.  “O our God…we have no might against this great company that cometh against us; neither know we what to do; but our eyes are upon thee”(2 Chronicles 20:12). 
            The reply came by the Spirit of God through the Levite Jahaziel. “Be not afraid nor dismayed by reason of this great multitude; for the battle is not yours, but God’s…Ye shall not need to fight in this battle: set yourselves, stand ye still, and see the salvation of the LORD…for the LORD will be with you” (2 Chronicles 20:1 & 17).
            Jehoshaphat chose to believe God.  He called in the choir to sing praise and let the Lord handle the bad guys.
            I have known times in my life when God showed up and cleared out the enemy from before me. I have also known times when the “yeah-buts”, “what-ifs,” and “if onlys” flooded my mind and distracted me from the truth and the victory.
            Here is the truth.  God is enough.  Whatever I am facing, it isn’t unknown to Him. He is enough for every challenge of life.  When all is cleared away, He will still be standing there because He is the only one strong enough.
            So, enough with the “what-if’s.” Time to believe God and blow that heavy, shadowing cloud away.  Let’s call in the choir and sing!
                                                I sing because I’m happy!
                                                I sing because I’m free!
                                                For His eye is on the sparrow,
                                                And I know He watches me! *

*Civilla D Martin, His Eye in on the Sparrow

No comments:

Post a Comment