Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Week Eighteen - F.A.T

Fat. Is that a dirty word to you? Does it make you feel uncomfortable? For me, it is a constant battle. I'm not wildly overweight, but I carry more pounds than the charts say I should. It always amazes me that I can gain five pounds in two or three days, yet it takes over a month of hard work to get rid of them. 

But today, I want us to take a different view of this word.  Psalm 92:14 says, "They shall still bring forth fruit in old age; they shall be fat and flourishing." 

Fat and flourishing—that sounds a bit more positive! The word fat here doesn't refer to the weight we carry. I think you'll like the Bible definitions.

It means full of sap, juicy, rich, or wealthy. It also has the idea of being vigorous.

Flourishing means to be green with growth, productive, and prosperous. 

So, let's combine those two definitions. Even in old age, we can still be active and productive, full of energy and growth.

I had a little thing recorded in my journal from a book by Clint Clifton defining fat this way.

F - Faithful
A - Available
T - Teachable

What an excellent way to look at what we should be as Christians, both young and old, because these three things will make us active, productive, full of energy, and growth. We have a purpose, even in our old age!

Verse 15 gives us that purpose, "To shew that the Lord is upright: he is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in him." When the young ones see us, they should see the life of Christ shining through our lives. Even if we aren't up chasing little ones in the nursery or playing volleyball with the teens, our attitude should be one of positive flourishing that shows the Lord's goodness and righteousness. The young ones need us to show them Christ and the joy of serving Him.

I don't know about you, but I want to remain fat and flourishing in my old age. I want to keep my little light shining for the next generation and the ones the Lord brings into my life for spiritual influence.

So the next time I think of myself as fat, I want to say, "Yes! I am faithful, available, and teachable. Use me, Lord, for Your glory."

No comments:

Post a Comment