Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Week Thirty-Two - The Yeah, But Queen

When my oldest daughter was a teen, she habitually used the phrase, "Yeah, but..." to almost every directive we gave. I guess she felt we weren't smart enough to give her instructions or that her opinion was necessary to the conversation. But for whatever reason, she continued with the phrase so often that we dubbed her the Yeah, But Queen. One day we found a coffee mug that said the same and bought it for her. She was less than impressed.

     As I read my Bible, I remembered her words and began noticing the phrase "but God." It blessed my heart to see how often it appeared, and so today, I want to point out some verses. I hope you receive a blessing, too.

     Psalm 3:1,2 reads, "Lord, how are they increased that trouble me! many are they that rise up against me. Many there be which say of my soul, There is no help for him in God." Then verse 3 says, "But thou, O Lord, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head." And there is the first time I noticed what was happening. Do you see it? People might be dissing us. They might laugh at our difficulties or  think we are set to fail and there is no hope for us, but God sees things differently.

     In Genesis 50:20, we read Joseph's words to his brothers, "But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God means it unto good." And there it is again. 

     In Judges 15:19, Samson fears he will die of thirst and fall into the hands of the enemy. And the verse says, "But God clave a hollow place...and there came to water." 

     1 Samuel 23:14 says, "And Saul sought him (David) every day, but God delivered him not into his hand."

     Psalm 73:26 reads, "My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion forever."

     Acts 7:9, speaking again of Joseph, reads, "And the patriarchs moved with envy, sold Joseph into Egypt: but God was with him."

     Romans 5:7, 8 reads, "For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die. But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

     And Ephesians 2:4 is one of my favorites! After reminding us of our former life, it reads, "But God who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us."

     Yeah, we might be struggling, caught in a hard place, weary and thirsty from battle, chased and hounded, and a host of other things, BUT GOD has our back. He is our shield and the lifter up of our heads. He strengthens us and has a purpose for all we experience. 

     If it weren't for the "But God" portions of Scripture, we might faint away without hope but praise the Lord; God knows we need to hear the other side of the story - His story - about His faithfulness to His children.

     So the next time the enemy tries to spin his tale of woe and condemnation, you might like to use the phrase "But God" and take hold of the promises that counter his attack.


No comments:

Post a Comment