Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Week Twenty Five - Mouthwash

Have you seen the children's film, Finding Nemo? If so, you might recall the song sung by the Seagull where he claims all the gold is "mine, mine, mine." And I'm sure you've heard the exact words from a two-year-old throwing a tantrum. 

The sad thing is that adults can be just as guilty. Oh, we might not sing the song or throw a tantrum, but we live by selfish words that pepper our language and taint our responses. Let me give you four examples.

Let's start with the word I. "I want...I will not...I don't think...I disagree...I need." We use the word I so often that we rarely give it a second thought. Have you ever tried to go one hour without using the word I? In the Queen's English,  "I" is replaced by "one." "One will not." "One does not think so." It sounds much better, but we rarely use such posh language!

I is a sad, tight, protectionist stance. I is not a habitation of God's Spirit. I is defiance and leads to emptiness and dryness. Why? Because we are not an island. We are a community, and the focus on the one above all others breaks unity.

Another dangerous word is me. "Caress me. Feed me. Pay attention to me. It's all about me." This is the cry of our day. We are called to accept any choice based on what makes "me" happy. It doesn't matter about decorum, God's laws, or how it affects others as long as "me" gets what "me" wants.  Over focus on "me" is selfish and immature. 

And what about mine? "These children are mine. My times are mine. My stuff is mine. The choice is mine. Mine. Mine. Mine." Mine is grabbing. Mine pushes others away. Mine gets awfully lonely. And mine can make some terrible choices.

And one final word - no. "No, Lord, no. No, I won't. No one can tell me what to do. No!" No is a stubborn, prideful word used in this context. No cuts you off and restricts your growth.

Four damaging words - I, Me, Mine, and No! All four leave a person in some sort of bondage to self.

But we can turn these words from damaging to blessed. I can be used as, "Here I am, Lord," or "I will..." Me can be used in prayer as "Lord use me, change me." And Mine can be rephrased as, "All that is mine came from you, Lord, and is yours. So do with it as You will."

And no can be used in two more beneficial ways. By saying, "No, I will keep myself pure." or "No, I will not participate." Or even changing the no to yes. "Yes, Lord, I will obey." "Yes, Lord, I will forgive."

By changing these words to words of blessing, we make room for joy, lightness, risk and change, and challenge and growth. As a result, there is room for God's Spirit to work. Blessed words lead to fruitfulness and refreshment.

So if your life seems empty and dry or separated from others, you may need to start listening to your speech. Is it laced with damaging words coming from a selfish heart? Maybe it's time you washed your mouth out by opening your heart to God's love and letting Him refresh you. It's amazing what a little mouthwash can do!

No comments:

Post a Comment