Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Week Forty-Seven - Why?

This morning I had a couple hours to myself. So after tea, toast, and a bit of a jigsaw, I settled down to my Bible reading in the book of Job. Did I tell you I love the book of Job? It is full of interesting illustrations and honesty. Before I get to what I found today, let me share with you some things I already marked in my Bible.

Job 5:26 says, "Thou shalt come to thy grave in a full age, like as a shock of corn cometh in in his season." Isn't that a cool illustration? The ear of corn is ripe, fully formed, ready to pop with sweetness and plenty. That is what we are like as we age. At least, that is how God looks at it!

Job 5:2 reads, "For wrath killeth the foolish man, and envy slayeth the silly one." How true!

Job 7:20 is brutally honest. Job says, "I am a burden to myself." Ever felt that way? I have. Yet, I'm so thankful God didn't see me as a burden and still carried me through. How about you?

Job 9:11 is another place we have all been. "Lo, he goeth by me, and I see him not: he passeth on also, but I perceive him not." God can seem elusive, but even if we can't see Him, He is still there! He never leaves or forsakes.

Well, I was in chapter twenty-three today. In verse 2, Job's complaint is bitter and his burden heavy. But where is God? Job can't find Him. He wants to argue with God about his situation and hear what God would say. Yet, even in the midst of his complaint, he knows God would not beat him down but instead, strengthen him (vs. 6).

He continues looking for God in verses 7-9 and then rests himself in this truth from verse ten. "But he knoweth the way that I take: when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold."

So, Job decides to remain steadfast and trust in God's word (vs. 11, 12). Because he knows God has a perfect plan (vs. 13, 14). Though Job might be troubled and afraid of what God's plan includes, he knows it is God at work, softening Job's heart and stirring up his life, even though he wonders why he was left alive and why God allowed this trouble.

We sometimes wonder about life too, don't we? We complain and argue, can't see the why, how, or way through our trial, but look at where Job laid his resolve. God will strengthen. God knows where we are and has a purpose for our good in everything we experience. So we can choose to trust His word, His truth, even though we don't have the answers to "why?".

Next time you are struggling to find the answer to your why remember Job. It's okay to question but come to the same place. Verse 14 reads, "For he (God) performeth the thing that is appointed for me: and many such things are with him."  Only God knows the reasons why. 

I wrote in my journal, "Though I have no comparable heavy trial, I choose again to trust the Lord."

How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment