Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Week Forty-Five - Mirror, Mirror on the Wall


When Tom and I set up our first home, my grandmother gave me a full-length mirror. I was thankful but wondered why she thought I needed it. So, I asked her.  Her reply? "Sweetheart, it is good to see what you look like." I don't know if she disapproved of my dress-sense (it was the early 70s), but she was definitely encouraging me to keep an eye on my attire.

As I moved forward with the Uninvited book study, I heard the same message from the Lord. "Sweetheart, it is good to see what you look like." 

Taking a good look at ourselves doesn't always make for the most flattering sight. Think about this morning, as you passed the mirror you saw disheveled hair, creases from a face squashed against the pillow, and eyes squinting in the morning light. Not a very becoming picture.

Immediately you grabbed tools and started combing your hair, washing your face, and brushing your teeth. Sometimes we forget that all of us start our day making these minor corrections.

Well, as Lysa Terkeurst says, "Tweaking in quiet is the saving of us in public." But she isn't referring to our morning regime. She is talking about having a good look at ourselves inwardly, spiritually. We all need tweaking. As we look into the mirror of God's word we see ourselves as He sees us - mess and all and in need of some grooming. It's amazing that we would not dream of going out in public without preparation, but we move through our spiritual life without taking time to even apply the salve of God's word to our wrinkled souls.

Well, after we fix our face, we usually begin thinking about what to wear. At which point we rummage through the closet and put a few things together. Then, we come to our full-length mirror to check before we head out.

Well, what do you look like? I'm not talking about shiny shoes or a crisp pressed shirt. What do you look like spiritually?

That is where I found myself; staring into the mirror of God's word dressed in the most incredible outfit. It's found in Isaiah 61:10. 

"I will greatly rejoice in the Lord, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for he hath clothed me with the garments of salvation, he hath covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decketh himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth herself with her jewels." 

The mirror of His word reflected the love of God placed upon me and I saw myself glistening from head to toe clothed in the garment of salvation and covered with the robe of righteousness.

"Sweetheart," my Lord said, "it's good to see what you look like." And I'd have to agree. What a beautiful reflection of our position in Christ as mirrored by God's word; clothed and covered.

No comments:

Post a Comment