Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Week Forty-Eight - God With Us

One of my favorite truths to meditate on is found in Matthew 1:23. I know it is from the Christmas story, and tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day, but with where we are now, I found great comfort again in this truth. "And they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us." When life gets confusing and uncertain, it seems legitimate and necessary to run from the crisis, but knowing God is with us restores my peace. 

God is intimately interested and involved in my life, even when I don't feel it. He is actively there. Psalm 31:15 tells me, "my times are in his hands." And Isaiah 27:3 reminds me that God waters every moment. I love that truth. There is not a moment when God is not tending and caring for me. When life feels too hard, and I can't figure it out, I remind myself that figuring it out is not my job. I am to trust in the Lord with all my heart and lean not to my understanding. And I am to acknowledge him, and he will direct my path. (Proverbs 3:5,6) He will direct because he is with me. He is there. 

This truth of God's presence is one I have exercised for years. When my children were very small, my grandmother encouraged me, "Gail, they are only babies once. Stop and take time to enjoy them." I began making a practice of stopping everything to sit and watch them play. I would take turns holding them on my lap or rocking them while I rested myself in the everlasting arms - God with Me. 

Years down the road, and I still know the blessing of stopping, to be still and know God is there, to enjoy all he has placed around me. It is hard to see God and be thankful when you are racing and noisy or fretting and uptight. You have to stop, rest, and recoup. For me, that creates room for thankfulness. 

I need intervals when I do nothing, think nothing, and plan nothing; time to rest. And when I do, I place myself in his arms and allow him to be my portion and comfort. Time spent stopping is not lost time. It is the source of a renewed mind and energy. It is the place to do repairs, sharpen tools, and revitalize the soul and spirit. 

Thanksgiving 2020 would be best peppered with moments of silence, moments to stop and let thankfulness arise, and to worship, as we recognize God With Us.

I hope you have a lovely Thanksgiving Day, and the presence of God is very near.

No comments:

Post a Comment