Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Week Eighteen - Shaking in My Boots

Sometimes it is easy to get confused about what God is doing through this pandemic.  Curiosity causes us to wonder how this is all going to work out and what the future holds.  Personally, I do not like living with uncertainty.  But, these are uncertain times.  So, I know my best course of action is to turn to God’s Word for encouragement. 

Today, I found myself in 2 Thessalonians, and the second verse of the second chapter jumped out at me, “That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter.”  I had to stop awhile and take time to think through this and ask myself some questions.

Is my mind shaken?  Or am I standing steadfast and determined? Am I troubled? (It means to make an outcry.)  Are my voice and demeanor anxious?  Is my spirit trembling? Am I allowing the things I hear and read to unduly affect me or cause me to shake in my boots? If God’s instruction is that I am not to be shaken, then what am I to do?

I found some clues!

1.     2 Thessalonians 2:15 says, “Stand fast.”  In the face of adversity, hold on tight to what you know, what you have learned from past experience about God’s faithfulness.

2.     Look to God for comfort and stability.  2 Thessalonians 2:16-17 says He is the everlasting consolation (support) and our good hope. He will comfort our hearts and establish us in every good word and work. It will all be okay.  He’s got a plan!

3.     2 Thessalonians 3:1 tells me to move on with my job – evangelize, be a witness, do the next right thing.  The gospel is going out into cyberspace like never before.  I see it as God seeding the internet for any who would look for Him in the future!  We can spend extra time in prayer for others and reach out to them in so many ways, even while we are at home.

4.     2 Thessalonians 3:3-5 reads, “But the Lord is faithful, who shall stablish you and keep you from evil.  And we have confidence in the Lord touching you, that ye both do and will do the things which we command you.  And the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God and into the patient waiting for Christ.”  I am to do the next right thing. God is faithful; I need not fear. I am to keep my heart directed toward the Love of God.  We are told the same thing in Jude 21, “Keep yourselves in the love of God.” And, I am to be waiting for the return of Christ – the time is growing nearer for sure!

5.     2 Thessalonians 3:12 - I should do my work quietly and eat my bread.  Isn’t that funny?  What God is saying is calm down, do what you need to do, and enjoy the goodness around you – eat your bread!

6.     2 Thessalonians 3:13 - Don’t grow weary!  That’s easier said than done. But we need to learn to pace ourselves, to be content with what we can accomplish each day, and not be straining at the bit as we stay isolated in our homes.

7.     2 Thessalonians 3:16 - Let the Lord give you peace!  He is with you. He has always been with you and will continue to be with you—even after we are all released!

So, there’s no need to be shaking in my boots when the Lord has placed so much comfort and instruction around me!  I can travel through this uncertain time, assured in Him alone.  And, so can you!

“Be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter.”
2 Thessalonians 2:2

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.  In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.” 
Proverbs 3:5, 6


No comments:

Post a Comment