The first week of August, we started. He had his list. I had mine containing things that mattered to me. But God interrupted our plans. Tom was called back to the States for a family funeral, leaving me here by myself for a little over two weeks. Amazingly, Tom got his list completed before he left, but my list, of course, of things that mattered to me, was much longer.
I sat down and made myself a simple chart with tick boxes for things completed and spaces to record dates and notes. I love getting organized like that! And I started with great zeal!
In my journal I recorded, "I asked the Lord last night to tell me what to focus on today. This morning He said, "All the little one-off jobs." So that's where I started.
All the little things went wild. I booked quotes for roofing, a built-in wardrobe, driveway repair, and a new front door. Things were getting done: phone calls and work on upcoming teaching and seminars were underway; my little chart already had several elaborate ticks! I had appointments with friends, deep housecleaning was getting done, and even a jigsaw puzzle!
I was amazed at how God was helping me accomplish the things that mattered to me. He gave me time in His Word, great moments of prayer, and Spirit-filled writing. He energized my mind to stay focused when things didn't go smoothly.
Let me share one crazy thing - I had booked the man to replace the flat roof for the Friday. We had agreed while he was here, and I had it written in on my chart. Friday came, but he did not. I wondered why, and so I looked back at my WhatsApp correspondence. I had inadvertently canceled! Thinking I was messaging the man I wanted to decline, I ended up sending the message to the wrong person.
I immediately messaged to express my regret and apologized for the mistake, asking if we could reschedule. Which, he did - he came on Monday.
But that sudden change threw me off. I had to sit down and restart my day. My plan was gone. I slumped into my corner chair and prayed, asking the Lord what was next and how to order my now empty day.
I got up, did some personal perspective training, prayed some more, finished the hemming on a wedding dress, went shopping for a new oven, got the neighbour's help with repairing the guttering downpipe, refreshed my front garden bushes, ordered new ceiling fans for the offices, and ended the day working in the garden and putting together my new egg chair, even completed my jigsaw puzzle.
I am always amazed at how the Lord knows the things that matter to me. And not only that, but He helps me see things accomplished and makes His presence and interest so real that I do not feel alone - I have a God who cares about the things that matter to me.
And so do you!

No comments:
Post a Comment