Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Week Thirty - Treasures in Darkness

Let's look today at Isaiah 45:2-3. It reads, "I will go before thee, and make the crooked places straight: I will break in pieces the gates of brass, and cut in sunder the bars of iron: And I will give thee the treasures of darkness, and hidden riches of secret places, that thou mayest know that I, the Lord, which call thee by thy name, am the God of Israel."
This was one of the verses I claimed when the dark night of the soul had me in its grip. My depression was almost tangible as I sat in fear wondering: What was going to happen to me? Where would I find release? Where could I place my hope? How long would this last? These unanswerable questions haunted my soul. Only God's Word could reach me, and even then, it often took a huge amount of blind faith to come to any rest.
This was the first place where I began noticing the I Will statements in the Bible. We've talked many times about David's I Wills - I will praise, I will sing, I will trust - but here in Isaiah, the I wills are promises directly from God. He says:
I will go before thee.
I will make crooked places straight.
I will break the gates of brass.
I will cut the bars of iron.
I will give you treasures in darkness.
I will give you hidden riches in secret places.
Treasures in darkness? Hidden riches in secret places? All the darkness I was experiencing held treasure? It seemed hard to believe back then, but today I can attest to the truth of this promise. Had I never experienced the darkness and the secret places, my walk with God would not be as close or as sweet as it is today. The depth of my relationship with God was hollowed out during those dark times. He went with me. He did make crooked places straight, and He did release me from the gates of brass and bars of iron. And He did it in His time - the time when He knew I had come to understand the value of my valley journey.
True riches and treasures are not those that shine openly, but those hidden in the soul: personal fellowship and intimate encounters with the God who knows our name. They are that calm assurance that comes when the soul rests in the Word and confidence built by knowing God is sovereign, loving, and wise. 
God's promises aren't reserved for the treasures that come after the darkness; they are also treasures IN darkness. When God's Word comes alive in your heart, when light shines into your soul, when you see Him at work on your behalf, these, too, are treasures of darkness. They shine, pointing us to continued hope on our journey.
So if you are walking in the shadows, remember there cannot be a shadow without light, and God is that light. He will keep His promises, and in His time, you will know the treasures of darkness, too. So lift your face toward Him, keep going, and trust that He is right beside you.

No comments:

Post a Comment