Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Week Twenty - The Rollercoaster

I have a love-hate relationship with rollercoasters. I hate getting on. I enjoy the thrill of the ride. Then, I love getting off! Over the years, I am less and less amazed with the thrill and prefer to keep my feet on more solid ground, but I have friends who live for the ride!

For the past few months I have been on an emotional rollercoaster. I have a love-hate relationship with these as well. I still hate getting on one, and I can't really say I enjoy the ride because of the abrupt jerks and ups and downs that rattle my bones and challenge my faith. I love getting off when the ride is done, but instead of feeling relief, like I do at the theme park, I find my heart more often tired, yet full of praise and wonder.

Join me for a few of the turns on my current ride. 

It started this year with a lovely family visit to Spain. Then, a scary downer. A shooting at my granddaughter's school in Virginia. 

We praised the Lord at the all clear on my daughter Sally's brain tumour, only to hear some ten days later that she had breast cancer. 

We rejoiced as our church voted to take on their first national pastor and then had a scary visit from the Border Agency that sent our ministry of sponsoring in missionaries whirling. Deep and deeper we plunged as Sally had surgery and the Border Agency suspended our license. That landed us in the lawyer's office and we are in the process of appeal. 

We enjoyed the heights again as Kingsmead Baptist installed their new pastor and we witnessed the coronation of King Charles the III. Our main church celebrated 30 years, and we saw souls saved and people coming to join through baptism. Only to be jolted with news that Sally needed a second surgery. 

We could barely contain our joy as churches donated to raise enough funds to complete the roofing project on the Bible college. Then, we thanked the Lord for a safe flight to the US for furlough and rejoiced again as my sister's second great-grandchild was born Mother's Day weekend.  

Yesterday, we flew from Virginia to Kansas City but the day started with sad news. The new baby has a rare and large brain tumour. The prognosis is not good. And while on the way to the airport we were praising to the rooftops as one of our missionaries was granted Indefinite Leave to Remain. That is a miracle and answer to prayer. It also strengthens our appeal. 

I'm not sure I want this ride to be over. If I get off too soon I'll miss seeing the amazing hand of God in all these situations. I'm going to sit tight and hold on because I know who has control. Through all the highs and lows of life, He remains true and stable. On every plummet His is the voice I hear whispering, "Trust me, Gail. Just trust me."

Friend, your life might be taking a similar ride. Let's hang on and ride to the end keeping our eyes on the horizon of God's love and faithfulness. Ups and downs will come, and we might feel jerked around, but we can always look to Him for comfort and encouragement. He knows about tomorrow. He knows about the next hour, and I truly believe it is bathed in His love and wisdom.  

No comments:

Post a Comment