Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Week Forty-One - Do Something Good Today

 

I'm one of those people whose first thought each morning is what I need to accomplish. Those things form my prayers and plans even before I push back the covers.

Sometimes I wonder how it will all get done, and feel apprehensive about how things will work out, but I usually hear God say, "That's okay. That's not your job. Just get up and get started." 

There's an old song that goes,

Each day I'll do a golden deed,
By helping those who are in need.
My time on earth is but a span,
And so I'll do the best I can.

And Scripture is replete with similar admonitions.

Micah 6:8 tells me what to accomplish each day. "He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God."

Luke 10:27 points me to the main goal. "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind: and thy neighbor as thyself."

Ephesians 4:1-3 tells me how to get there. "Walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called, with all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace."

As I look at my fellow travelers, it isn't hard to see many who are struggling with hurts and disappointments. Some face heavy heart-wrenching trials, while others feel lonely and isolated. God placed you and me as encouragers for them. We are to be salt and light. By the way we live and the words we say, we should be pointing them to hope in Christ.

Our time on this earth is but a span - a set and unknown time limit - so while we are here, we need to follow our Lord's example and go about doing good. Help others, pray, go to church, sing, praise, give, and show Christ in your everyday life by kind words and acts, speaking of Him, planting seed, and watering the tender vines. Let your faith and hope permeate those around you. Be influential by doing what the Lord called you to do - the good works for which you were designed. Ephesians 2:8-10

Let me leave you with the lyrics of another really old song by Carrie Breck.

Look all around you, find someone in need, Help somebody today!
Tho' it be little, a neighborly deed, Help somebody today!

Many are waiting a kind, loving word, Help somebody today!
You have a message, O let it be heard, Help somebody today!

Many have burdens too heavy to bear, Help somebody today!
Grief is the portion of some everywhere, Help somebody today!

Some are discouraged and weary in heart, Help somebody today!
Someone the journey to heaven should start, Help somebody today!

Help somebody today,
Somebody along life's way;
Let sorrow be ended, the friendless befriended,
Oh, help somebody today!

So, what will you do today?

No comments:

Post a Comment