Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Week One - Fresh Eyes

Well, here we are in the first week of 2022, and we are still facing Covid. But with the New Year comes the opportunity to refresh our mindset, a reboot if you will, and the chance to rekindle hope and look at the future with fresh eyes. 

God opened my heart to a fresh way of thinking through a quote from my devotion book a few weeks ago. The author wrote, "We define our humanity as a cage from which we cannot escape. Jesus defines it as the image of the invisible God." (Chris Tiegreen)

I stopped right there and began musing on the difference. It is an amazing perspective. If I see myself trapped in human form, I will act accordingly. I will feel bound, defeated, small, and limited. But, if I use fresh eyes with Bible truth - that I am made in the image of God, created on purpose for His glory, and free in Christ - it is reflected in my actions, thoughts, and attitude.

My mind started drawing even more comparisons.

If I live seeing myself trapped in human form, I see myself as limited.  But if I see myself as in God's image, I know I am free, created for more, and the possibilities are limitless.

If I live seeing myself trapped in human form, I will feel bound by sin. But if I see myself as in God's image, I know I am free through the offering of Christ. Free, because He is my Saviour. The price of my sin has been paid.

If I see myself trapped in human form, I live full of guilt. But if I see myself as in God's image, I know there is now no condemnation. I am accepted and loved in Christ.

If I see myself trapped in human form, I will be worried sick to death, believing I must fix everything wrong around me. But if I see myself as in God's image, I walk by faith with thanksgiving no matter the circumstances because I know He holds tomorrow.

If I see myself trapped in human form, I tend to be angry - at who knows what! But if I see myself as in God's image, I can be forgiving and non-controlling because I know God is in control, and my anger is a waste of energy.

If I see myself trapped in human form, I fear tomorrow. But if I see myself as in God's image, I am restful and assured of His presence every day.

If I see myself trapped in human form, I continually grieve over the past. But if I see myself as in God's image, I leave the past behind and look forward with hope.

If I see myself trapped in human form, I am anxious and jumpy at every noise or newscast. But if I see myself as in God's image, I entrust my times to His hands, knowing His love continually surrounds and protects me.

You see, perspective is so crucial.  It colors every decision and creates the attitude by which we live. So maybe it is time we laid fresh eyes on 2022!

Let's read that quote again. "We define our humanity as a cage from which we cannot escape. Jesus defines it as the image of the invisible God."

I don't know about you, but I would much rather place my hope for 2022 in a God who loves me, has a purpose for me, accepts me, and sees me as His child. When I allow my mind to wallow in humanistic thought, I feel trapped, the light grows dim, and I begin to lose heart. But when the light of the glorious gospel shines, I see things with fresh eyes. 

How about you?


Wanna read more? Check out my blog Beside the Well and my other books at www.gailgritts.com

No comments:

Post a Comment