Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Week Twenty-One - Starving for Love

I'd like to think I could write today's blog with as much passion as in my heart, but I'm not that talented. I am, however, moved with enough desire to try to express to you how God's everlasting, unconditional, yearning love is extended to all. Grasping even a portion of the depth of his love will change your life and feed your longing soul.

I've been reading Gentle and Lowly by Dane Ortlund. I don't think I've ever read a book with so much attention and detail into the heart of Christ and the depth of the Father's love. I do not doubt God's love for me. I rested in that truth when I found salvation, for only Jesus could satisfy my soul. And over the years, I have come to understand many facets of God's love and recognized his Spirit unearthing areas in my life where only His love could touch and heal. Today, as I write, I think of those who have not yet accepted God's love, who doubt or feel unworthy, or who need to venture deeper into his love.

Dane Ortlund wrote, "The world is starving for a yearning love, a love that remembers instead of forsakes. A love that isn't tied to our loveliness. A love that gets down underneath our messiness. A love that is bigger than the enveloping darkness we might be walking through even today. A love of which even the very best human romance is the faintest of whispers."

Is that the type of love you are starving for? A love that never forsakes? A love that truly understands and moves to embrace your brokenness? Well, my friend, this is exactly the love of God, and it is expressed through his word, exhibited by the sacrifice of Christ, and sealed by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

This deep and abiding love of God envelopes your starving heart in times of despair. It carries you to new heights and hides you within his Everlasting Arms. Your heart sings when the cloak of God's love covers your sin and comforts your needy soul. There is no reason to starve when the banquet table is laid out before you. Song of Solomon 2:4, "He brought me to the banqueting house, and his banner over me was love."

There's a beautiful hymn by Lucy Meyer based on Isaiah 55:1, 6 that goes,

Ho! every one that is thirsty in spirit,
Ho! every one that is weary and sad;
Come to the fountain, there's fullness in Jesus,
All that you're longing for: come and be glad!

Child of the world, are you tired of your bondage?
Weary of earth's joys, so false, so untrue?
Thirsting for God and His fullness of blessing?
List to the promise, a message for you!

Child of the kingdom, be filled with the Spirit!
Nothing but fullness thy longing can meet;
'Tis the enduement for life and for service;
Thine is the promise, so certain, so sweet.

"I will pour water on him that is thirsty,
I will pour floods upon the dry ground;
Open your hearts for the gifts I am bringing;
While you are seeking Me, I will be found."

Maybe it is time to stop starving and partake!  Dane Ortlund wrote, "Repent of your small thoughts of God's heart. Repent and let him love you."

No comments:

Post a Comment