Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Week Forty-Eight - Evening Sowing


I almost gave up. That’s right. I considered chucking it all in and shutting myself away. To be honest, I’ve been tempted to do that many times in my life. Guess that’s my hillbilly tendencies! But each time, the Lord reaches in and gently pulls me back to reality.
   This time, I lost motivation and direction because of tiredness and lack of concentration. Oh, I have dreams and visions, but they all seem too big, too much effort, too much risk. Then, as I wandered through another of those old books I love, I came across two stories.
   The first told of a couple who had been dedicated workers in their church. They taught Sunday school for years, served on leadership teams, and retired moving away to a new location after a great send-off. As they settled into their new home, the local pastor greeted them excited to have such fine folks starting to attend his church.  He needed the help they could provide. But as he offered the opportunity for service, they declined saying they had done all that and were no longer willing to serve.  They decided their sowing time was over.
   The second story was of an older gentleman who had spent many years serving his community as the local doctor. Time had come to leave his practice, but instead of going away from his community, he threw himself into opportunities through his church to continue giving. When asked why he continued, he said he was doing his Evening Sowing.
   That took me to Ecclesiastes 11:6, “In the morning sow thy seed, and in the evening withhold not thine hand: for thou knowest not whether shall prosper, either this or that, or whether they both shall be alike good.” Evening Sowing. Do you see it?
   In the morning – in your youth – sow thy seed. Yes, grow. Raise a family. Get a career. Enjoy the time of strength with exuberance and steady commitment. Serve the Lord with gladness and faithfulness.
   In the evening – in your mature years – continue sowing. Don’t stop. Remain steadfast.
Why?  Because you don’t know where the real prosperity lies. You might have seen success in your youth. There is no reason to believe you will not see the same as you age. Besides, if all the older adults stop serving and sowing, the burden on the youth becomes greater.
   I’m concerned when reading about Millennials telling Baby Boomers to move over and give them the reins. That doesn’t seem to be the teaching of Scripture. Matter of fact, I read that the older are to teach the younger. Society is getting things out of sync here.
   So, what was the Lord saying that helped me not to give up, to keep going? He said, “Gail, I am in control of these things. I need you to continue with the vision I have given. I need you to do your evening sowing and leave the outcome to me!”
 
  Dear younger reader. Serve heartily. Do what you know God wants you to do with all your might. Enjoy life.  It is a gift of God. And look for a mentor with some character and age, someone whose wisdom leads you to confidence and helps you stay on the path.
  
   And if you are an older reader, don’t give up. Keep sowing seed of kindness, faith, and hope in the lives of those around you. Keep your eyes on the goal God has given you and work toward it. Don’t sit, waiting around for it to come. Pursue it. You never know what blessings God has prepared for you or whose life you will touch for eternal value. Get out there and do your evening sowing!

So, speaking of Evening Sowing.  I’m asking you to remember me in prayer as I continue blogging and writing.  My children’s stories, Reba and Katherine, are only a part of what I hope to continue.  I have several more stories about the girls I’d love to publish, and a couple other children’s things up my sleeve.  If you haven’t looked at these stories, here’s a link:  https://www.amazon.com/Gail-Gritts/s?k=Gail+Gritts

   I am also working on the Bible word devotionals I blogged back in 2013.  I’m calling it 50 Bible Words. My plan is to have it on Amazon in paperback and eBook in 2020.  I’ll keep you posted when it's ready!
   And, I am learning how to podcast.  This is a big step for me because I’m not that tech-savvy, but they all say it’s not hard.  We’ll see!  Meanwhile, thank you for reading, sharing, and dropping comments and encouragement. 
   You keep sowing, too!

To subscribe directly to the Beside the Well blog: https://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=BesideTheWell&loc=en_US

1 comment: