Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Week Twenty-Two - Let's Eat Cake!


     As a young girl, I wanted to write, and I have done so throughout my life in various ways.  Today, I find myself writing children’s books and trying to break into the Christian writing circles through this blog and hopefully see these devotions turn into books.  My heart rejoices as God continues fulfilling this desire in my life.
    I wanted to do many other things, too; things that were a part of the person God created me to be.  I wanted to be an architect. My father assured me that was not a career for females.  But the desire did not leave my heart.  Did I become an architect?  No.  But the Lord did allow me to design our church extension and be a part of the team through various renovations.
     I wanted to do work for humanity and serve the Lord in some capacity.  I thought that would be through the Peace Corp, but God had a different idea.  My work for humanity has been through missions; taking the gospel to the foreign field and ministering to the British people.
     Two scriptures became my life’s verses.  Philippians 1:6, “He who began a good work in you will perform it.” God had to do steady work in my life!  Still does!  But He has remained faithful working to create in me what He desires. 
     The other verse was Psalm 37:4 “Delight thyself also in the Lord; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.”  As a young Christian, I took hold of the promise of this verse by earnestly throwing my heart’s desires upon Him and giving my life for service.  I’ve never regretted it. 
     I tell you that because sometimes people believe that if they give their lives to follow the Lord, He will take everything away.  I have to say; God is not that kind of Father.  He sees the work we do for Him, and He rewards us according to what He knows will bless our hearts and lives.  We can never out give God – not in money or by giving our lives.  Hebrews 6:10 tells us He will not forget our work and labor of love we do for Him in ministering to others.  That’s what I get from Psalm 37:4 as well. He will give back more than I ever give out.    
     So, what could it possibly mean to delight in the Lord?  Is the psalmist advocating a shallow faith based on pleasing yourself?  Is he saying we can do whatever makes us happy?  I don’t think so. I remember when the promise of this verse grasped my heart.  “Delight thyself,” I heard God say.  “Find all your joy in Me.  Make your soul happy in service and cultivate that happiness by a growing relationship. Marvel in all I have done, am doing and will do.  Fix your eyes solely on Me in every circumstance.  Let Me become your most cherished source of joy and comfort.  And then, the promise can be realized.”  And what is that promise?  He will give me the desires of my heart.
     I’ve heard preachers say that your desires change to fit God’s will, then the promise will come true.  And, I’ve seen that happen.  My desires have changed as I have walked with the Lord, and I’ve seen Him meet those desires. What were some of them?  To be a missionary was one.  Check!  To successfully raise children who are good citizens, good people, and faithful Christians.  Check!  To have a wide and vibrant ministry.  Check!  But I’ve also seen the Lord fulfill the desires that were in my heart long before I knew this promise, desires, as I mentioned before, that are a part of who I am.
     It is still my greatest joy to serve the Lord on the mission field, and I’m learning that God’s plan for my life isn’t limited by location or age.  He is doing a work in my life and isn’t finished yet – not until the day of Jesus Christ, He says. 
     I have one more desire – to design and build my own little house.  There’s still time!  I’m anxious to see how this all work out.
     How about you?  Are you enjoying your relationship with the Lord?  Are you in a place where God can adjust your desires to fit His purpose?  Do you see His activity midst your life and goals?
     His promise is real.  He will give you the desires of your heart if you delight yourself in Him, for in Him are all the treasures you need and the fulfillment of all His promises.  That way you can have your cake and eat it, too!  Isn’t that delightful!

NOTE:  Check out my children's books - Messy Hair Game and Grandpa's Gift.  Available on Amazon.  My newest one, The Pony Cart, will come out this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment