Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Week Twenty-Six - Rebel Rousers

Beside the Well
            Sometimes, my Bible makes me laugh out loud!  As I was reading through the Psalms enjoying David’s poetry, I came to Psalm 59.  Like many of the Psalms, David asks God to defend him from his enemies, but when I got to verse six and seven, my visual mind kick in and I started to laugh.
            It reads, “They (the wicked) return at evening: they make a noise like a dog, and go round about the city.  Behold, they belch out with their mouth: swords are in their lips: for who, say they, doth hear?”
            I’ve seen them before, haven’t you? Not only was I laughing at the image in my mind, but according to verse eight, God is also laughing.  “But thou, O Lord, shalt laugh at them.”   I don’t think God is laughing because He thinks they are funny.
            I pondered a while and then read on until my attention was again captured at verses 14 and 15.  “And at evening let them return; and let them make a noise like a dog, and go round about the city.  Let them wander up and down for meat, (look for something to eat) and grudge if they be not satisfied(stay out all night).
            To keep the verse in context, we must remember that David is describing his enemies.  They snarl and bark like dogs on the hunt, wretched words come out of their mouths, and they have no dread of man or God.  They are always on the prowl and keep up the hunt at any cost.
            My mind went to the yobs that hang around town at night.  They bark and howl using foul language due to intoxication and drugs. They wander around all night getting more and more frustrated as they look for some sort of satisfaction.
            I laughed because I had never noticed these verses before and I was amazed that God’s portrayal could be so remarkably visual and descript. 
            Sadly, these verses describe a good portion of society today.  Not just the unruly youth, but also the attitude and actions of political parties and business leaders.  Whatever happened to character?  When did it become okay to be base and disrespectful? 
            I find these sorts of actions fearful, but David was not afraid.  He decided to continue singing of God’s power and mercy aloud each morning because he knew God was his defense and refuge. (vs. 16, 17)
            And that made me laugh again.  After a night of rebel rousing, the last thing these folks want to hear is someone singing, and especially singing about the Lord.
            Isn’t God cool?  We don’t have to be afraid of barking dogs or noisy politicians; we can sing our hearts out to the Lord and enjoy our day for God is our defense!

Gail Gritts
Beside the Well
rggritts@gmail.com
ggritts.blogspot.com  

No comments:

Post a Comment