Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Week Thirty-Four - Crowns

Beside the Well

            I am a visual learner.  I did not know that until my friend was trying to explain her plan to me.  I could hear her words, but I could not work with what she was telling me.  Since she was a teacher, she took a deep sigh, grabbed a pen and paper, and drew out the plan she was verbalizing.  Then, my eye could see what my ear was hearing!  It all dropped into place and I could work with her idea.
            That is how the Lord teaches me from His Word as well.  Words come to life before me and create images I can use for learning and meditation.  Last year Proverbs 12:4 sparked several images.   Here are some thoughts:
            The verse says, “ A virtuous woman is a crown to her husband; but she that maketh ashamed is as rottenness in his bones” (Proverbs 12:4).  I got to thinking about how one would treat a crown. 
            If you had a crown, you would admire it, polish it, and take good care of it. It is a thing of beauty.  If the wife is a crown, then the husband should take good care of his possession. 
            I moved to thinking of Abigail’s example.  She made Nabal look good. He was evil—bad in actions, unkind, disagreeable, and self-focused. She is described as a woman of good understanding, prudent, discreet and wise with a beautiful countenance, or a beautiful appearance. He did not recognize her as his crown nor treat her as such. 
            The crown enhances the one wearing it.  The crown and the wearer aren’t in competition; they are to be completing each other.  It is a mutual uplifting as described in Ephesians 5:28-29 & 33.
            Then I thought, maybe instead of expecting my husband to do all of the polishing, I should look and see if I am doing my part as a crown.  The verse in Proverbs makes a stipulation: A virtuous woman, meaning strength, ability and efficiency, force.  This is the same word Bathsheba used in Proverbs 31 to describe an industrious, strong woman who was a blessing to her community and family.
            Now that put more images in my mind.  A crown is formed of strong material.  It stands poised and proud upon the head of the king.  It glistens with jewels and is noticeable.  It knows its place.
            As my husband’s crown, people see me.  They see whether I am strong enough to stand and if I am producing good jewels.  They see if I am a benefit to his life.  They also see if I have dropped down to choke him about the neck, or if I am tipped to the side, tarnished, and dented.  Crazy images, but they challenge me to take a deeper look at the way I treat my husband.  I don’t want to be a jester hat on his head or some sort of mangled mess.  I want to shine and to make him look good. 
            So, I need to adjust my crown and get back to where I belong—shining for the Lord’s glory where He has placed me with thankfulness and awareness.  I need to be that virtuous woman, not only for my husband, but also for my Lord.

            What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment